Sunday 3 August 2008

Here we go again....

Well, after the little break I've had due to RL issues, I've restarted serious coding on Kharne again. Look out for more information soon. Rather embarrassingly, I've just realised that there was no Drop Item functionality in the Inventory screen, so I'm currently implementing that. Data entry and framework coding for Monsters is on hold until I get the Drop functionality finished.

On a slightly different note, there's a new thread on r.g.r.d. entitled 'Is "identify" really good for the game?', which does as it says on the tin. I'm sure this has been discussed in the history of Roguelikes many times, and I think I'm in the camp that says, overall, that the ID-minigame is indeed good for the game as a whole. It is however, a real bitch to code, when you're working with non-primitive item data structures, as I am.

In other Roguelike news, Mario Donick has released v1.0 of his roguelike, Lambda Rogue. Its a rather splendid game, and even more splendidly, is written in Free Pascal, which is fairly compatible with Delphi. Mario and I both use the Recursive Shadowcasting Algorithm to generate FOVs, and I think I speak for us both when we say we're very happy with it. Congratulations on your achievement, Mario!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it was a good decision to implement recursive shadowcasting, it is far better than before, I think. Thx for mention my little game :)