For some reason, I'm actually contemplating moving away from the use of a Database for Monster and Item definitions towards using edit files instead.
Wednesday, 29 June 2011
Finally. After a year and more of real-life shit, and a complete loss of interest in coding, a new version of Kharne (v0.0.6) is now available (source also available here).
To summarise the big changes in this version: potions and stealth.
The full list of changes are below:
- Potions have been implemented.
- Added a stealth mode (entered and exited by pressing 's').
- Added NPCs to the Town level.
- Added a house for the character to the town level.
- Eating no longer restores any lost health points.
- Projectile Animation is now much smoother.
- Increased the number of monsters generated per level.
- Resting is no longer possible when starved.
- Additional Identify scrolls are now generated on each dungeon level.
- Right-clicking on a Creature will bring up Monster Memory for that creature.
- Elemental Intrusion Creatures have had their hitpoints reduced again.
- Reduced the rate at which certain skills are learned.
- Groups of Monsters can now have a slightly tougher leader monster accompanying them.
- The cursor now changes colour depending on LOS.
- Unique monsters now have their glyphs marked with a double-underline.
- OOD monsters now have their glyphs marked with an underline.
- Fixed an issue with certain vaults having impassable walls in error.
- Removed the extraneous buttons from the Inventory view.
I'm very happy about this release, not only because its been 10 months since the last, but because I'll be able to implement magic and ammunition in the next release, which I hope, as I've got my enthusiasm for coding back, will be soon.
In the meantime, please let me know either here or via email any bugs you find.
Monday, 27 June 2011
Potions have almost all been implemented, just debugging them all now. Here's a potion of Rage (which increases your Strength dramatically for a short period of time) in action:
Once they are done, I think I will release v0.06 - almost a year after the last version. Its been too fucking long...
Sunday, 26 June 2011
Saturday, 25 June 2011
Friday, 24 June 2011
Potions are a pain in the arse to implement. Not so much the instant effect ones like Healing, but time-limited ones like Might/Confusion and so on. I was tempted to hack in quick counter attributes for each potion on each PC class, but I should really do the full object-orientated method outlined here instead.
That said, I like Mario's suggestion in the comments of just using an array of counters, and it would mean actually getting code out quicker.
Thursday, 23 June 2011
Yes, its been a while. Picked up some coding again, and finished the Townspeople implementation. Each type of townsperson has its own speech pattern and says something different when you move past them. Its only a cosmetic thing really, but helps to give life to the town level.
Now if I can finish implementing potions, I've got enough for a release.