Sunday 28 June 2009

Richard Stallman: Sage or Misunderstood Genius?

"The danger is that Microsoft is probably planning to force all free C# implementations underground some day using software patents"

Richard Stallman, giving his reasons not to use C#.

Incidentally, he also has some...unusual views regarding web browsing:

"For personal reasons, I do not browse the web from my computer. (I also have not net connection much of the time.) To look at page I send mail to a demon which runs wget and mails the page back to me. It is very efficient use of my time, but it is slow in real time."

Back in my university days (somewhere in the Pre-Cambian era), writing just such a program as this was our introduction to C (granted, we didn't use good old wget but instead we built our own process to do the same thing that used the Berkeley Sockets Library instead).

UPDATE 29/06/09: A member of the Debian Mono Group responds.

No comments: