Wednesday 21 May 2008

Progress Report #4

Not that much has happened in the last few days on Kharne, progress wise, I've been busy doing other things in that strange place called Real Life. Most of the time that I've actually spent on Kharne I've spent refactoring some of the data handling routines to finish their conversion from flat-text storage to reading from the SQLite Database instead, but I'd like to present a little feature that I thought worked really well all the way back in TKAngband, and is pretty much an essential part of MMOs, and which I'm reproducing in Kharne. Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you:





The minimap.
. Unlike the console version of Crawl*, for example, where you can't display the map and the dungeon view at the same time,



Kharne's minimap is in a separate window that can be displayed and hidden at will, dragged around the screen, and auto-updates as the player moves around the dungeon (always being centered on the player). I think its quite a cool feature, and I'm surprised more windowed-roguelikes don't implement it.

* Yes, I know Crawl's map offers additional functionality like traveling, but traveling is unlikely to be a feature of Kharne for some time. Incidentally, the tile version of Crawl does indeed have a minimap.

2 comments:

Enne Walker said...

Not to be too defensive here, but Crawl does have a minimap. It just doesn't exist in the console version. ;)

http://enne.walker.googlepages.com/minimap.png

(Also, I quite like your cave generation.)

-Enne

Dave said...

Ah, so that's the tile version of Crawl? I've never played it. It looks quite splendid, thanks for that, I shall amend my post immediately.

The cave generation is based upon the new algorithm posted in r.g.r.d a week or so ago, I think its perhaps a bit too itty-bitty, and was toying with changing it slightly to remove isolated pillars of rock, as they tend to get in the way. On the other hand, having a lot of isolated rock pillars leads to all sorts of interesting gameplay.