Friday 2 October 2009

Now what?

Now that the source code is out, what's next?

For my own part, there are still a few things in the code that I feel need tidying up. The code for creating, placing and dropping items, for example, really needs to be refactored further as it is duplicated in about a dozen places in the code.

Then I need to blitz the googlecode documentation and learn how to use that, to set up the repository.

After that, its time to look at what new features I'd like to implement.

The old roadmap was quite specific about what functionality would go into (then) future releases:
  • Character Milestones
  • Potions/Scrolls
  • Multiple Items on a Title
  • Timer Handling
  • Corpses
  • Magic & Spellcasting.
  • Saving/Loading
  • Ranged Combat
  • Damage Brands
  • Interface/Control Upgrade
  • Mutations & Corruption
  • Town NPCs
  • Victory Conditions
  • Traps
I've bolded the items that are currently fully or partially implemented.

But this still leaves quite a lot. I feel the next release should work towards new functionality, and the ideal candidates are, as I've been hinting at for some time, potions/scrolls and ranged combat.

But, of course, one of the joys of open source is that anyone can help, so if there is anything you'd like to see in Kharne, and you know Delphi/Pascal, and you can understand my extant code, just download the source, install it and start coding!

No comments: