Wednesday, 22 April 2009

An announcement.

My day job mainly involves using Delphi but the place where I work is moving to .NET and later this year, I'll will be taking the TS: Microsoft .NET Framework - Application Development Foundation Exam 70-536. As part of the learning process, I've decided to write a cut-down mini version of Kharne in C# (using the .NET 3.5 Framework) applying some of the lessons I'm currently learning in writing the main game. I intend for this mini-Kharne (I need a new name for it!) to be a prelude to the main game and to be something akin in size and complexity to Dweller.

I'm confident this won't affect development of the main game, as I've set myself limited goals and scope:
  • A single dungeon with only a few levels.
  • Only a dozen or so items with perhaps a half-dozen brands at most.
  • A dozen or so different monsters.
  • Only a few skills.
  • Only two classes: Fighter and Mage.
  • No Races and only four main stats: STR, DEX, CON, INT
  • Only a few families of Spells.
  • Traditional ASCII Display using libtcod-net.
  • Simplified Inventory handling.
Effectively, in terms of effort, its a 7DRL spread out over a period of a couple of months. Eventually, I'd like to allow an export option to export characters from this mini-game to the main Kharne.

In terms of Kharne, the next tasks on the horizon (which have been partially implemented already but turned of in 0.02a) is to get skills, potions and scrolls working. When those are done, I'll release a 0.02b.

No comments: