Sunday 19 April 2009

Refactoring

I think I'm getting close to the point where I need to, in order to proceed further in a smooth fashion, apropos Incursion, refactor the existing code base thoroughly. I'm really not happy with at least good 25% of the code currently extant, and it would be nice to rewrite perhaps another 25% or so. Part of the reason for doing this is that I am now bursting with ideas for the game and to implement these would require a heck of lot of work with the current codebase.

These are ideas above and beyond what I've already discussed for the next few versions leading up to v0.10. For example:
  • Nethack-esque fountains.
  • Uniques.
  • Crafting (akin to that found in MMOs).
  • A global Hi-Score table.
  • Extra dungeons, including a special Wraith-style one to allow characters to get around death (albeit at a cost).
  • An iMUSE-esque music and sound effects engine.
  • True Multiplayer Mode.
  • Tile Graphics.
  • Deities.
  • Intelligent Items.
  • Wishes.
  • Dynamic Dungeons.
And many more.

No comments: